- over 12 years experience of working with schools and further education colleges
- close working links to HSE, and other related services
- Health and Safety professionals from both industry and enforcement backgrounds
- Environmental Health officers now part of the team
School Health and Safety
We provide highly experienced school safety professionals with over 12 years experience of working with schools and further education colleges.
We also have close links with other Oldham services such as Facilities, Safeguarding, Risk, and Insurance.
Our officers continue to attend the Children’s Services Health and Safety Committee and the AGMA School health and safety meetings. You benefit from this knowledge and invaluable links.
The Health and Safety support you get is totally clear and risk focussed. There will be no vagueness. After our visit to your school you will know where to focus your time and resources and feel completely assured that you can control the health and safety risks within your premises and comply with all your legal responsibilities.
NEW – Environmental Health
We now have Environmental Health Officers as part of our team, bringing a unique detailed knowledge of health and safety legislation because they have enforced it. They regularly serve notices and have prosecuted several large national companies for health and safety breaches. They know exactly what is required by the law and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
Environmental Health Officers also have close links with the HSE – they attend meetings and training with HSE inspectors – no other health and safety consultants have these close and informal working relationships with the HSE – your enforcer!
This team works right alongside other environmental health staff who deal with a whole range of issues likely to arise within the school environment. EHOs specialise in infectious diseases like legionella, food safety, food allergens, swimming pool safety, contaminated land issues such as radon and a whole host of other environmental topics.
All these strengths are embedded within the service!
All schools where Oldham Council is the employer receive the basic statutory provision at no cost. This includes:
- The provision of consistent policies and standards (which are available to schools on first class and/ or can be sent to schools via another mechanism)
- Competence on high risk strategic and technical issues (e.g. via issuing safety circulars)
- Assessment of the impact of new health and safety legislation.
- Monitoring of schools to check policies and procedures are implemented and working (e.g. via basic audits/monitoring checks)
- Statutory consultation with trades unions and professional associations.
Additional comprehensive support to assist you to meet your statutory obligations. Over the last four years we have had 85% buy back from schools.
This is what you get for your money:
- The services of 2 dedicated Senior Health and Safety Advisers assigned solely to support schools. These advisers will provide support or advice by telephone or by visit to the school premises if necessary.
- A full health and safety audit every 3 years with a clear report to focus the school on the real areas of risk. In addition there will be a visit to the school every year. This may be a focused partial audit or a visit to address any particular areas/issues identified by the school.
- Immediate support and investigation in the event of an accident, incident or dangerous occurrence – including assistance with safety documentation for civil litigation.
- Provision of up-to-date electronic Health and Safety information including any new school-related health and safety legislation or “hot topic”. This includes access to the updated “First Class” web based health and safety resource
- 1 FREE training session per year on a relevant current health and safety topic
- A 20% discount on any of the scheduled training courses delivered by the health and safety team – please contact us for details
- Provision of a radiation protection advisory service to secondary schools.
- Access to CLEAPSS School Science Service with a saving of up to £200 per annum on CLEAPSS membership fee.
- Annual Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV) inspection of Science Departments to comply with Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) requirements.
Pricing & Ordering
All this superb professional knowledge and support comes at competitive prices.
We are still offering a fixed price annual SLA until the 31st March 2018!
To take advantage of this offer or to discuss your needs please:
Telephone the Health & Safety Team on 0161 770 3165,
Or email us: