- Over 15 years’ experience of working with schools and further education colleges
- Close working links to HSE, and other related services
- Health and Safety professionals from both industry and enforcement backgrounds
School Health and Safety
The Health and Safety Team provide an excellent cost effective service providing unparalleled support to assist schools / academies in ensuring that they meet their statutory obligations around health and safety. The team has a wealth of knowledge and experience from all sectors of industry including over 15 years of auditing schools / academies / higher education colleges.
The Health and Safety support you get is totally clear and risk focussed. There will be no vagueness. After our visit to your school you will know where to focus your time and resources and feel completely assured that you can control the health and safety risks within your premises and comply with all your legal responsibilities.
The Team will support your School in fulfilling your statutory requirement for the provision of competent persons within the organisation to comply with the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.
Additionally the Health and Safety Team have access to other areas of expertise that we can draw upon including the Council’s legal, human resources, property and planning and other support services as appropriate.
All schools where Oldham Council is the employer receive the basic statutory provision at no cost. This includes:
- The provision of consistent policies and standards (which are available to schools on first class and/ or can be sent to schools via another mechanism)
- Competence on high risk strategic and technical issues (e.g. via issuing safety circulars)
- Assessment of the impact of new health and safety legislation.
- Monitoring of schools to check policies and procedures are implemented and working (e.g. via basic audits/monitoring checks)
- Statutory consultation with trades unions and professional associations
Paid for Service-Service Level Agreement (SLA)
Additional comprehensive support to assist you to meet your statutory obligations. The Health and Safety Team will:-
- Provide unlimited health and safety advice over the telephone via a direct telephone line into the Health and Safety Team from 8:40 am to 5pm Monday-Friday. This service provides assistance with both simple and complex health and safety queries.
- Carry out a full school health and safety audit every 3 years with a clear report to focus the school / academy on the real areas of risk
- Carry out an ‘interim’ yearly visit to school / academy (between the three yearly audit) to support the school / academy with compliance and discuss any topical issues etc.
- Provide up-to-date electronic Health and Safety information including health and safety policies and procedures and regular health and safety circulars on topical matters
- Report to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), any RIDDOR reportable incidents that are sent in via the Council’s Accident/Incident Report Forms and then offer advice on remedial actions.
- Invite the Head Teacher and Business manager (or nominated deputies) to a FREE seminar ran once per year, updating on any relevant current health and safety matters.
- Provide a 20% discount on any scheduled training sessions delivered by the Health and Safety Team
- Ensure access to CLEAPSS Schools Science Service -providing a significant saving on the CLEAPSS membership fee
Additional services for Secondary Schools
- Provide a Radiation Protection Advisory Service
- Annual Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV) inspection of Fume Cupboards in Science Departments to comply with Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) requirements
Pricing & Ordering
All this superb professional knowledge and support comes at competitive prices.
Telephone the Health & Safety Team on 0161 770 3165,
Or email us:
The council primarily use your data for handling your query.
All information is processed in accordance with our organisational data protection policy (www.oldham.gov.uk/dataprotection).
We never sell your data to third parties or use it for marketing purposes without your consent.